Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Review ~ Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Crewel (Crewel World #1)
by Gennifer Albin
YA Sci-fi/Dystopia
Published: October 16th 2012
Goodreads Link

Blurb:

Enter a tangled world of secrets and intrigue where a girl is in charge of other's destinies, but not her own.

Sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys has always been special. When her parents discover her gift-the ability to weave the very fabric of reality-they train her to hide it. For good reason, they don't want her to become a Spinster-one of the elite, beautiful, and deadly women who determine what people eat, where they live, how many children they have, and even when they die.

Thrust into the opulent Western Coventry, Adelice will be tried, tested and tempted as she navigates the deadly politics at play behind its walls. Now caught in a web of lies and forbidden romance, she must unravel the sinister truth behind her own unspeakable power. Her world is hanging by a thread, and Adelice, alone, can decide to save it - or destroy it.

My Review:
**3.5 Stars**

So, Crewel almost gor a 4 star review, but (even though I knit and crochet) it took me a little while to grasp the threads/spinning/looms. I actually had to first picture it like the matrix before I could get a grasp on how the world worked. Once I did that, I was able to transfer the mental image over to the looms and was able to understand it a lot better. I'm sure that when I go back and re-read it, I will end up changing my review to a 4 star - but for now, I am going to keep it at a 3.5.

I love the complexity of the world Gennifer created. It is so very male dominated... yet... not, at the same time. You get a fantastic picture of the different locations Adelice travels to within Arras. And towards the end of the book when Adelice is in the tower... fantastic suspenseful writing!

Adelice was written beautifully. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like her, but then you really got to see how strong and independent she is once she is in the Coventry. Ok, total set up for a love triangle. Erik & Jost. Honestly, I saw the "surprise" twist with them in the beginning. Ok, maybe not the beginning, but when Jost was telling Adelice his back story (sooo sad). Omg - I really felt for Jost. He went through sooo much and I'm sure it isn't over yet.

CONCLUSION: I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to dystopian & sci-fi fans. I cannot wait for Altered! October 2013 - - - not too much longer I guess.

Side Note:

Gennifer Albin was at a local bookstore on Sunday as part of the Fierce Reads tour and I was able to meet her. She is funny, amazing, and so very down to earth. Please follow her on Twitter (@GenniferAlbin) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/gennifer.albin)

No comments:

Post a Comment