Thursday, December 20, 2012

Alice in Zombieland Review

Book: Alice in Zombieland
Author: Gena Showalter
Book One in the White Rabbit Chronicles
Edition Read: Hardcover

Blurb:

She won't rest until she's sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever. 

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that's all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real....

To avenger her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn't careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies....

I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently. 
I'd tell my sister no. 
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad. 
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words. 
Of, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time. 
I'd tell them I love them. 
I wish... Yeah, I wish.

My Review: 
**3 Stars**

MY OVERVIEW: Well, I had a hard time figuring out how I wanted to rate this book. While I enjoyed the storyline, I had a lot of problems with the book. First off... this is NOT a book about zombies, in the normal sense of the word. This book was about spirit monster/zombie things. Which was really cool, but don't try and pass it off as a zombie book when it really isn't.

PROS: OMG! She mentioned my favorite band! Hahaha. Ok... have to do a little freak out here. Ali mentioned that she listens to Skillet & Red. I like Red and have a few of their CD's and would love to see them in concert. Skillet... my favorite band ever! I have all of their CD's and have seen them 4 times in concert (soon to be 5). : )  Ali's character was written really well. She was very believable and easy to relate to. I really enjoyed her journey through the book. The only downfall is sometimes the "teenage thoughts" were a little overdone.

CONS: Yikes. Ok, I'm not going to go through everything, but I will hit two more points (in addition to the zombie one above). I am not a big fan of swearing, however, the awkward avoidance of it is just bad. There was a lot of "I was going to say this, but change it so it wasn't a swear" stuff in the book, and it just came out awkward. Honestly, I think that Cole should have swore a few times. It would have fit his character very well - at least a lot better than changing mid sentence. Alright, now my last point. While I agree that people would avoid the "bad crowd" in high school... I don't see them also being the most popular. It was just very weird that while people were afraid of them, they also wanted their attention.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS: Like I said, I really did enjoy the story. I just wish I didn't have as many problems with the book as I did. Now that I know what to expect, I am hoping that the next book will get a higher rating from me. (Yes, I do plan on reading it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment