Saturday, August 4, 2012

Author Interview with Ray East

I am very excited to share with you, an author interview with Ray East, the co-author of Voluspa: A Magical World.

1. When you aren't writing, what do you like to do with your time?
When I am not writing, I like to spend time with my 5 yr old and take my dog for long walks.

2. Have you always wanted to be an author?
As far as I can remember, I've always wanted to be an author. My mother tells me that at six, I wrote a story about my pet turtle.

3. Who was your favorite character to write and why?
My favorite character in the book is the main protagonist of the book - Amy. She is a remarkable girl, with a core of steel. She faces whatever life throws at her with courage and spirit. She is no paragon of virtue; like every human being she has her foibles. The admirable part is, she does not let her own shortcomings, difficult circumstances or even evil adversaries defeat her without putting up a fight.

4. How did you come up with the animals Drake, Jacek, and Sonja can turn into? And why did you pick that particular animal for that particular character?
I borrowed from nature and then embellished to create the animals. The animals I chose for Drake, Jacek and Sonja are indicative of their personalities. For instance, Drake is fiercely loyal, protective, brave; qualities that a dog has. Sonja is free spirited and wild like a bird while Jacek can be moody, stealthy, and volatile - qualities I associated with a snake.

5. Are there any authors who have influenced you in your writing?
I love Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Rowling. I think they are exceptional writers of the fantasy genre. I am inspired by their work and I imagine they have influenced my writing.

6. Is there a specific food or drink you like to have handy while you are writing?
Green tea and a bag of pita chips.

7. Can you describe your book in 5 words or less?
Inspiring, Interesting, New, Gripping and Page-turning.

8. Why Young Adult?
I think it is so much more satisfying to be able to capture the fancy of our younger generation or to write something which would inspire them. Also I feel, young adults have a more open mind and they are more receptive to fantastical worlds and characters.

9. Coffee or Tea?
Tea

10. Dog or Cat?
Dog

Please be sure to check out Ray's book Voluspa: A Magical World. You can find my review on her book HERE, and add to your Goodreads' shelf HERE.

More about Voluspa: A Magical World: 


Amy, a forlorn fifteen year old girl from NYC, never thought that she would attend school on a magical mountain with wild animals as her classmates and that she would go to a prom on a flying carpet. Its love at first sight when Drake - a shape shifter rescues her from a pre-historic beast and befriends her. Little does she know that Drake's father is the tyrannical leader who has always wanted Amy and her kind dead. In her struggle to challenge the supremacy in the magical world, she realizes her powers, confronts aspects about herself that she may not be comfortable with, makes lasting friends while excelling in her school - something which she has not been able to do in her human world. All hell breaks loose, as Drake goes missing and Voluspan mercenaries try to hunt Amy down. Amy and her friends use strategic warfare, pit adversaries among themselves and use every last drop of strength, skill and courage as they take on warriors far more ruthless and skilled than themselves. But Amy is in for a rude shock when she finally finds Drake. 


Published June 8, 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment